Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Joke Continues..

I spent a lot of time looking at this after we found out we were moving to China Lake.  Look at all that brown.  I gave up complaining for Lent, so I'm just going to leave that as a simple statement...look at all that brown.  There it is.  

I cried for the first week.  Now I've thrown myself into moving preparations in order to stay in a state of denial.  Ignore the problem, and it will go away, right?  I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way when it comes to "the needs of the Navy."

The general reaction from people who actually know what or where China Lake is is something like sympathy.  You see the face.  The "ick" face.  Then they remember that you are about to move there for three years, and it changes to the "sympathetic head tilt."  "Well," they say, "there's no humidity."  Or..."Well, at least you can say you lived in California."  (I already have lived in California, by the way.)  
 
So the other day, I said to the dear husband, "Just once I would like to tell someone we're moving to China Lake and have them say something positive."
 
Skip to the next day, I am at my dentist's office telling my hygienist that we're moving to China Lake.   Behind my chair, I hear her assistant say, "Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful."  What?!  Finally.  In disbelief I say, "You've been there?"  "Nope," she replies, "but I watch HGTV and the Travel Channel, ya know?"  HAHA, God.  You got me again.  Someone said something nice about it.  Never mind that the places she's thinking of are probably hours away.  
 
Lest I insult someone, I'll put this out there.  I haven't been there yet, so for all I know, it is beautiful.  And I know some people find absolute beauty in the desert, but I'm sorry, I just don't.  It's not you; it's me, Desert. We had never had a chance to start with. 

1 comment:

Stacey N (MrsAiNokeA) said...

Awww sweetie. *hugs* I haven't seen you on the military site in awhile. I tried pming you but didn't get an answer. I'm not sure if you moved here yet but I think you said you would be moving this month. Sure it may not be the most exciting place but it's what you make of it. I felt the same way you did when I found out we were moving here. Now that I've been here for awhile I realize it's not that bad. =) Sure I wouldn't want to live here forever but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I'd love to meet up with you once you get here. Message me back on THL and I'll give you my number. It will be okay and it's only 3 years.. I get to stay longer. ;) haha *hugs